Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hey all, I thought I'd go ahead and post my conceptual design for the Arborium area of the game that I did.



The entrance appears through the mouth of the spirit masked carving, sporting an aboriginal symbol on it's forehead that could symbolize another room area. It's face is constructed from abstract aboriginal symbols as well, including the male, female, and child.

When entering, the player sees that the walls of this area are casting a digital image of a clear blue sky around the room, helping to light it and simulate the feel that the vegetation is in a real ecosystem. At the top, is a large lamp that serves as both the 'star' symbol, and as the main lighting device. The ground is covered by a thick grass, and sets of stepping stones, in the shape of footprint symbols lead the player through the area.

The taller trees in this area have a long wavy body to them, similar to that of kelp. Growing on them, is strange fruit that give off a luminous glow, helping to light the players path and also give the plants an 'exoskeleton' look that is present in other members concept work.




As another option, the room could take on a different look, this time taking place at night. Perhaps the room could even change depending on specific times to different ones. In this room, everything is relatively the same, save for mostly the color scheme. This time a digital starry sky is displayed. The kelpish plants now take on a reddish hue, resembling a campfire. The grass also reflects an orangish tint.

Either way I thought these two ideas would be cool to show, let me know what you think!

Jason S.

1 comment:

Plant42 said...

Pretty cool. I think it works. :3

Something I noticed that I thought was kinda cool was the pixellization near the trees in the daytime drawing. I noticed it right away and thought it was intentional. I read your description that it was supposed to be a digital environment and I was like Ha, awesome! =D But you also said the night time one is digital too and I don't see the pixels there. =( Hehh, it's probably cuz the sky's black and too hard to see... or maybe the daytime pixels weren't intentional after all. ^_____^;; Either way, I like them. :3